Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I got it!

I just found out today that I received a spot on the Foster Care Review Board for Ingham County. I interviewed yesterday. I have not had an interview for at least 5 years, so I was a bit nervous. The ladies put me right at ease once I sat down. It was funny to be interviewing for a volunteer postion..and I kept thinking if I do not get it..that just seems really bad! LOL Luckily I found out I got it. Now I am on to training Nov. 5th, 6th and 7th! I am staying in Ann Arbor for 2 nights and everything is paid for..I think I will be in Heaven. I have been wanting a vacation just did not know I would get this..LOL Jim is not too happy with me because his deer hunting vacation is scheduled for those 2 weeks..but hey, this is a lifetime opportunity and I am so excited to be doing something that could help children...

I have been feeling for months that I want to do something to help protect children because the system is failing kids all the time. Poor Devin has been involved with this system for the past 5 years. It is sad but thank God we have him with us now and he will be ours forever along with his 2 brothers! I was told that the judges in our county really do listen to the recommendations from our board. This will be awesom. I will be able to read case studies, meet with social workers, parents, foster parents, and help break down those tough cases and make sure the social workers are not failing these kids in the system. Too many times I just wanted to ring our old foster care's neck for what she allowed to happen to our Devin. I know, you rarely hear me being harsh but I am glad she moved to the East Coast far away from here...not that I would do anything weird but I would probably say some words that should not be said..it is better that she moveed!

So now, I have gone in full circle: started out a Children's Protective Service Worker, counselor with Highfields, Foster parent to many wonderful kids, and now finally I am on the Foster Care Review Board to hopefully help save the lives of children.

2 comments:

Amy@theredheaddiaries.blogspot.com said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! What an accomplishment! It is so good to know that someone like you will be helping these children. I just know you will do wonderful things!!!!!

The MessyBlessyMomma said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so proud of you. What a gift you will be!!!!!